Thursday, November 02, 2006

These Boots Are Made For Walkin'


University of Glasgow
Originally uploaded by sasseymills.
I think I over did it with the walking today. It was such a beautiful day, still cold but I hauled out the polartec fleece so I was toasty. I know the sunshine won't be around for much longer so when I've got the chance I want to be outside enjoying it.

I walked down to the Kelvingrove Museum again and checked out another part of the gallery. The display I looked at this time was all about Scottish stereotypes and historical figures and how much is fact vs what has become legend &/or myths. Very interesting. The great thing about the UK is that all the Art Galleries and Museums are free as their operating costs are funded by general tax revenue. As a result they've done away with the admission charge. So instead of having to cram the whole museum into one visit I can do it in small chunks. It's not as overwhelming this way either.

After my daily does of Art & Culture at the Museum, I next started down Dumbarton Road (further then I went last time) to try and find the one block that has all the second hand furniture shops on it. When Brenda and I went looking for them last weekend we were told we hadn't gone far enough. So I was determined to find them this time, and I did. However, only 2 of about 6 were open - this is quite common I'm told. It's kind of hit and miss as to if they will be open or not. But now I know where they are when I'm ready, cash in hand to furnish a flat (if needed).

By the time I got to the end of Dumbarton it was time to head back to get ready to shop for dinner ingredients. Instead of walking via the road, I went through Kelvingrove Park for a change of scenery. It was a lovely walk but by the time I got back to the flat I had been on my feet for just under 4 hrs without so much as a coffee break to give my poor feet a rest. When I got back to the flat to pick up my bag of goodies for dinner I still needed to walk another 15 - 20 min to get to Andrew & Jen's place. When I got there I was very ready to put up my feet and rest for a bit.

As of today I've officially been here 2 weeks.

No comments: