Friday, December 01, 2006

How many days 'till Christmas?!?!?!


I can't believe it's December already!


The big discussion around the dinner table tonight was plans for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I'm feeling a bit conflicted about the whole thing. I come from a very small family (I'm an only child) so I don't have a strong "family tradition" as it's always just been the 3 of us.


I guess the only tradition I've come to have is that of being an orphan. When I moved to Vancouver I was on my own so I would be invited to various friends homes to celebrate the holidays with their family. It would be nice to extend that invitation out here only for me to be on the hosting side of things for a change. But so far the only orphan I've met (Heather) is flying home to be with her family for Christmas so I'll need to find some more. I'll have to keep my eyes open.


The other weird thing is this will be the first time in I don't know how many years that I'm not involved singing for the Christmas Eve service. I have this friend Paul that I would collaborate with and we'd always try to pick some obscure tune to do (Dave Matthews - A Christmas Song, Joni Mitchell - River, Gordon Lightfoot - A Winter's Night). The more unknown the better and preferably not typical churchy sound. I think only once we did an actual Christmas Carol - I Heard The Bells on Christmas Day, but of course it was a 'different' arrangement by Pedro The Lion. I always loved harmonizing with Paul as we blended so wonderfully AND he was/is such an amazing guitarist (and mandolin & fiddle).


Paul - if you're reading this, I miss you :>(


Anyone know of an acoustic guitar player with a nice tenor voice looking to work with a folky alto vocalist?


Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

No comments: