Friday, October 20, 2006

Getting Settled


The view to the right
Originally uploaded by sasseymills.
This photo is out my bedroom window looking right. The window is quite dirty so it's not a clear pic. Today was a beautiful day with blue sky and sunshine. Took a walk around the immediate area to get my bearings. Found a grocery store, fresh fruit & veggie stand, wine store, cheese shop and a deli with great olives.

Attempted to set up a bank account today but that didn't go so well so I'll need to do a bit more research. It seems I may not be able to get a standard run of the mill checking account here as the one bank I went to said they will want 2 yrs of credit history before allowing so they'd only offer me a very restrictive savings account. I may wait until I've got a job to see if my employer can give me some help with setting something up. With the savings account they don't allow direct deposit of paycheques - somehow that just seems wrong. So no worries I have my ATM card so will just have to make due that way for the time being.

I managed to find a wireless signal in our flat. It's not strong, but it does the trick. It's probably coming from one of the many coffee shops in the area - hey, I'll take what I can get. But I did go to the coffee shop downstairs and purchased an espresso and a pastry just in case the signal is from them. I feel less guilty that way.

I'm cooking dinner for Jen & Brenda tonight at Jen's flat as the only spice I was able to find in our kitchen here was salt. That will never do.

No comments: