Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The Glamorous Life?

Jetting off to London, taking a train to Croydon, checking into a hotel for a night. Sounds glamorous but 5 hours travel time from office to hotel doesn't really feel like it and I look greasy & worn. Arriving to find out the restaurant is closed so my only options in the business centre are to grab a cold sandwich in the hotel bar (the Guinness helped a bit).

It's almost 11 and I'm slightly wired. But I need to get up early to shower and get ready for my day full of supervisory training in our Croydon office. Sitting cooped up in a meeting room all day with a bunch of people I've never met, that just sounds like soooo much fun.

I admit I do need this training (the 1st of 2 out of office sessions) as I'm flying by the seat of my pants on this whole people management thing as I've never been in this position before. But it just couldn't have come at a worse time. Things are so busy at work I feel guilty being here and now I will return to more chaos.

While flying down to Gatwick today in between the clouds I couldn't help but notice how flat and treeless England is. It puts into perspective how huge and untouched most of Canada is.

Note to self, I need to get into the Scottish countryside and explore. I want to find the cost, I want to walk a hill (but I don't want to do a death march), I want to find a Highland Cooooo. I want to sit on a rolling hill in the fog overlooking a loch with a ruin off in the distance.

Soon.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Check your email, I sent you a Cooo

Squirmy Popple said...

I would highly recommend a trip to the Highlands. Go soon before it gets cold and rainy! Oh wait...it's already cold and rainy.

Mellifluous Dark said...

By the way, Chris, I tagged you.

See blog for explanation...

(and, sorry!)

Jamie said...

Why don't you just forget about work for a few days, visit Florida (it's flat but we do have lots and lots of palm trees), relax at the beach and have a beer. You won't regret it.

abigail said...

In case you never make it to the Highlands, there's Highland Coooooos in Glasgow - in the fields around Pollock Park in the south side. I go there a lot just to say hello to them...

Hope all is well xx