Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Day 1 of Holiday

Didn't have a great nights sleep last night. I gave Mom & Dad my room as it has the bigger bed and more room to spread out with their suitcases. Plus I thought waking up with the sun (as I don't have blinds on the window) would help with the jet lag. So instead I slept on my flatmates bed as she's out of town. Her mattress is much softer than what I'm used to so I woke up with a really stiff neck and had tossed and turned most of the night.

So the bed was definitely an issue, but man - it's just really hard to wind down. I've been working so hard these past 6 weeks that having my brain and body slow down is taking a bit longer than I would have liked.

The folks were up at the crack of dawn and I rolled out of bed around 7AM (gee right when I normally get up on a work day). The day started out nice enough with lovely sunshine. But quickly the clouds rolled in and with it that Glasgow wind. Too bad as it's been so nice the last 2 weeks. I was really hoping it would last a bit longer.

We did the Hop on Hop Off tour of the city to allow my parents to get oriented with the city. Had an early lunch in a nice historic pub (I can't believe I got them to down a pint at 11:30AM with lunch) and then back on the bus to get to the Glasgow Cathedral, St Mungo's Museum and also the Provand's Lordship Museum.

Dad feel asleep on the bus on the way home and when we got off at the University to walk back to the flat it was downright cold and miserable. I curled up in my down duvet and had a much needed nap for an hour before trying to decide what to cook for dinner.

Now I sit in the i-cafe blogging this all to you reader. Here's a little piece of trivia for you.....

6 months ago today, right about now in fact. I was in the truck with my parents driving to the YVR airport. We'd had an early Christmas dinner for lunch (since I knew I would not be coming back for the holiday) and my friend had come over and spend some time with me before I left. I was about to get on a flight with what few processions I could jam into 2 suitcases and 1 carry on bag to move to another country. I wasn't guaranteed a job as I hadn't had an interview yet, I had liquidated 2 RRSP's to fund this move in the hope that I wasn't making a huge mistake.

So far so good. My how time flies.


Cursed Tea said...

In 1999, sept 4th, I got on a plane to a city I had never seen, to be picked up by a guy I barely knew, to study my passion that I'd spent the previous 5 years neglecting....

2007, I now have job in the field I am passionate about, I lived through the Ohio ghetto (crack house across the street!!) and this summer will be the fifth anniversary of my wedding to the guy who picked me up from that plane!!

I believe in fate - but only if you are willing to take the risk to take risks - they pay off in ways you couldn't believe!!!!

I'm excited to find out what yours will be....

Best Wishes

Katie said...

What a nice story!

I took a big risk by coming here too. I was working at a magazine job which could have led to a proper career, but I decided to leave New York behind to come to Glasgow with my boyfriend. We had no jobs and no place to live, but we've managed to make it through a year and a half so far. If nothing else, it's been an amazing adventure.

basest said...

Chris, your photo has made me thirsty. I will spend the rest of today at work thinking about beer.

just another day....